Friday, November 20, 2009

i've found your new favorite "easy dessert" recipe

trust me. so easy. and so good.

you start with about 3 cups of chopped apples. the recipe actually calls for them to be peeled. i don't know about you, but the thought of peeling 3 cups worth of apples makes me cringe. so i left the skin on the first time i tried this recipe, and guess what? it was delicious. embrace the fiber.

(i used granny smiths--perfect for baking with their texture and flavor.)

i also used this doohickey to get the apples in nice little slices. it works well about 65% of the time. the other 35%, i press down on it with all of my might and it doesn't budge or goes into the apple sideways and i can't make it through. but it's still better that slicing with just a knife alone, so i still use it.
then the recipe calls for a 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and a 1/4 cup of brown sugar. i was making a double recipe here, so it might look like more than usual.
next, add some of the "good" spices. cinnamon and nutmeg--oh yeah!
then you get a half stick of this. i like that land o' lakes now makes half sticks, cause we don't use stick butter often and i always question when a stick has been unwrapped for weeks on end.
slice it up and throw it in the party.
now mix all those tasty ingredients together and put in the pan. again, i did two recipes (one for church thanksgiving and one for our work thanksgiving lunch)
now, grab a bag of this--betty crocker oatmeal cookie mix. not just for cookies anymore...
add another 1/2 cup of melted butter and mix it til it's nice and crumbly.
take those crumbles and spread them on top, making sure to get them in the corners and around the apple slices. (i had some leftover because my pans were already full and i'd rather have more apples than more oatmeal crumbles.)
put it in the oven for about 50 minutes at 300 degrees. (by the way, thank goodness for foil pans. no clean up--best thing ever for work potluck lunches.)
and then... you have this. serve it warm with some vanilla ice cream and you have cinnamony-sweet apple goodness.
here's the recipe as found at the website:

Southern Apple Crumble

3large apples, peeled, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
cup granulated sugar
1/4cup packed brown sugar
1to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4cup cold butter or margarine, cut into small pieces

1pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® oatmeal cookie mix
1/2cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2cup chopped pecans

Print these coupons...

About Concordance™

Heat oven to 300°F. Spray bottom and sides of 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In large bowl, toss filling ingredients. Spread mixture in baking dish.

In same large bowl, stir cookie mix and melted butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.

Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with pecans. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.